What does it mean to say, "I speak Spanish"? Good question. As the people at the Spanish Language Institute have pointed out, it's not about simply ability to communicate. Almost anyone can communicate basic needs, through gestures, acting, drawing, etc. Or you can communicate by using simple nouns or phrases. "Bathroom," to mean "Where is the bathroom?" Or you can string subjects, verbs, etc. together, without correctly relating them grammatically. I know someone who does this. This person has a huge Spanish vocabulary but cannot conjugate a Spanish verb (their spelling changes based on mood, tense, and person)to save their life. Then of course ability with the language increases to the point of being able to clearly understand and articulate any idea in a grammatically pleasant way.

This is a huge job for anyone! I'm working on vocabulary, conjugating of verbs, grammar, listening skills, and pronunciation all at once. I think that my initial expectations were a little high for myself. Don't worry, I'm still going to get there, but it will more painful than expected.

Take today's sermon for example. I got the basic idea. I was challenged spiritually. But I missed most of the illustrations. I do best when the preacher reads a verse and then comments on it. I do worst when he says, "Now that reminds me of this time when . . ."

Pray that I'll find some good Tico language helpers. I talked to a guard down the street for about 30 minutes today--that was good. But I need to find more people like that. As the guard, Virgilio, told me, "People in San Jose only want to talk if they want you to do something for them." That's an exaggeration, but it will take time to find more good language helpers.

0 comments: