Our classes started yesterday in the language school. Holly and I are in the same grammar class for two hours, then we split apart for our conversation and pronunciation classes.

Holly has (moderately) struggled with the language for the simple fact that Costa Rican (they say Tico for the adjective) Spanish is different than Colombian Spanish. This has caused her some confusion. For example, the word for "grass" and "pacifier" are different. But she'll adjust. I told her it's a good experience for her to understand what most of us missionaries deal with on a regular basis. She looked at the paradigm of the Spanish verb and said, "Wow, I can't imagine memorizing that!" Well, I can.

Actually, Spanish has been going pretty well. I can understand virtually everything the teachers say, which is all in Spanish. They put me in the highest grammar class for our trimester and the second highest for conversation (Holly of course is in the most advanced for both).

The kids have been struggling with different aspects of living here. Lucas found an anthill at his Kinder class yesterday. I'm not sure why he let a bunch of them bite him, but he did. The kids have been waking up really early and not going to sleep very easily either. Oh well, what can we expect? They have enjoyed their Tica teachers and classmates.

Well, I better sign off for now. We have Internet at our house now, so updating and communicating will be easier.

0 comments: