Today has been an informative day to say the least. It started at 3:30 a.m. with two gun shots being fired outside on our street. Holly thought they were firecrackers, and I wasn't sure. I kept wondering why someone would be shooting off two solitary firecrackers at such an hour. Adrenaline began pumping, and I don't think that I fell back asleep. On the walk to school, we learned that our neighbors across the street had someone up on top of their roof, trying to climb into their backyard. Our freelance guard took two shots (presumably warning shots) at the thief and he raced across the top of the roofs to safety.

This afternoon I went to Hipermas, which is a big grocery store. I felt pretty proud of myself because I thought I'd gotten everything on Holly's list. Unfortunately I'd made some mistakes (e.g. I didn't know "Shout" makes a product to get rid of odors . . . I was supposed to get the spot remover--sorry Holly!). Anyway, I had a nice conversation with the taxi driver on the way home. Young guy, asking about my family, etc. Then he helped me unpack the groceries into our little garage. I believed him when he told me we'd gotten everything. Later we realized that he'd taken a whole bag of stuff. Thankfully it wasn't anything high-priced. He got our avocados, sausage, cilantro, and mints. Chock that up to naivete on my part, and it's a historical day--the first time I've ever had anything stolen from me. What a sheltered life!

This pains me to say, but in Latin American a little healthy distrust never hurts.

0 comments: