Have you ever wondered what it would be like to watch 90% of all movies with either subtitles or dubbed voices? If you don't speak English, that's what you have to deal with. Now I'm no defender of Hollywood, but I think this example illustrates a larger point about culture from a Latin American perspective.

How would you feel if you had to buy toys or computer software whose packaging is in a language you didn't understand (German, French, English, etc.)?

This is life in Costa Rica. Now, I can think of at least two advantages to this situation. First, it encourages people to learn another language, usually English. In Iowa and Minnesota, I didn't have much daily motivation to learn another language (except my Greek and Hebrew professors). Another positive is that the translation from English to Spanish usually makes for better dialogues in the movies. In other words, the translators usually don't translate all of the utterly useless and predictable swear words of Hollywood. I'm not sure if there are less swear words in Spanish, or just that they are looked down upon more here, but most movies soften the crude language from American movies.

Costa Ricans probably live a more "globalized" life than many Americans (note: they are actually Americans too . . . in Spanish, there is only one continent here--America, whereas in English we differentiate North and South America). You can take a 10 minute bus ride from my house to San Jose center and see Germans, French, Chinese, and gringos any day of the week. And when we've gone on trips around the country the tourist locations are even more international. They don't just know about people from other countries from books or movies. They rub shoulders with them on the way to work each day. Now that's no different from Ames, IA, but it's a lot different than Hibbing, MN, where I grew up.

I tend to think that La Nacion (the most respected paper here) has more articles about international events than most papers in the States.

What does this have to do with missions? Understanding the motivations of the people helps immensely. In order to more effectively minister, I have to begin to understand the differences in thinking. I even have to open up enough to allow my own thinking to be changed on some things that I'd never personally seen or experienced.

One quick example: I'd never thought about what it would be like to need a pair of glasses to see but not be able to buy them. Or to need 50 cents for the bus to get home but not have it. These are eye-opening experiences.

0 comments: