In about an hour, we'll hit the road on our way to Pana, IL. It's about a 6-7 hour trip. The pastor at the church we're visiting wanted me to prepare a sermon that would prepare the congregation for the communion service. That will be a new experience for me.

I've been mulling over the idea of a communion service lately. Should our communion services always be the same? Or should we vary them, so that people are drawn to reflecting on a new facet of what Christ did for us? As you can tell from my question, I gravitate towards the latter approach.

Christ's death for us is something we can't fully grasp, yet we must try to more fully grasp it. Like Paul prayed that the Ephesians "may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height -- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge" (3:18-19).

With these thoughts in mind, I'll be preaching from Colossians 1:15-20, trying to draw people's attention to the supremacy of Christ. Oh, that passage also teaches that through Christ's death the entire universe will be reconciled to God (v. 20).

0 comments: